PEP-able? Expressional conditions

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Sep 7 14:20:47 EDT 2005

"Kay Schluehr" <kay.schluehr at gmx.net> wrote in message
news:1126113430.910646.69290 at g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> No, as I explained it is not a ternary operator and it can't easily be
> implemented using a Python function efficiently because Python does not
> support lazy evaluation.

By *carefully* using the flow-control operators 'and' and 'or', you can
often get what you want *now*, no PEP required.

> One usually does not want to evaluate all
> conditions as well as all the results ( when passing them into the
> function ) but evaluate conditional expressions sequentially and stop
> at the first true condition.

*If* bool(result_expression_i) ==  True for all i, (except maybe last
default expression), which is true for some actual use cases, then the
following expression evaluates to the result corresponding to the first
'true' condition (if there is one) or to the default:

c0 and r0 or c1 and r1 or c2 and r2... or default.

I have only seen real examples with one and-pair, like (x < 0) and -x or x
for absolute value.

Terry J. Reedy