Find day of week from month and year

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Sep 2 20:53:44 EDT 2005

Carsten Haese wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 16:46, Laguna wrote:
>>def expiration(year, month):
>>	weekday = calendar.weekday(year, month, 1)
>>	table = [19, 18, 17, 16, 15, 21, 20]
>>	return table[weekday]
>>
> This, of course, can be "optimized" into
>
> def expiration(year, month):
>     return [19,18,17,16,15,21,20][calendar.weekday(year,month,1)]
>
> ;)

True, but do you find that more readable?  If I saw that in code I was
maintaining I would likely rewrite it, probably to look a lot like the
first one (though likely with a more descriptive name than "table"...
maybe expirationTable?).

(And, if I were "optimizing", I would of course dispense with the
dynamic creation of the static table upon every execution of
expiration(), and move it outside the function.)

-Peter