First release of Shed Skin, a Python-to-C++ compiler.

Brian Quinlan brian at sweetapp.com
Mon Sep 12 11:19:29 EDT 2005

Mark Dufour wrote:
> The latter is certainly my goal. I just haven't looked into supporting
> exceptions yet, because I personally never use them. I feel they
> should only occur in very bad situations, or they become goto-like
> constructs that intuitively feel very ugly. In the 5500 lines of the
> compiler itself, I have not needed to use a single exception. For
> example, I prefer to check whether a file exists myself, rather than
> executing code that can suddenly jump somewhere else. There's probably
> some use for exceptions, but I don't (want to?) see it.

I don't understand your example here. When you check that a file exists,
you feel safe that openning it will succeed? What if:

o you don't have permission to open the file
o the file is deleted in the time between you checking for it's
   existance and opening it (possible race condition)
o the system doesn't have sufficient resources to open the file
   e.g. too many open file handles
o the file is already open with exclusive read/write permission

Cheers,
Brian