Accessing shared library file...

Thomas Jollans nospam at jollans.com
Fri Sep 16 14:01:48 EDT 2005

Ernesto wrote:
> The .dll file is a shared library file that is associated with a
> programming interface for a semi-conductor chip.  The chip drivers come
> in two different flavors:  One is a .dll (for Windows) and the other is
> a shared library file for Linux.  The name of the Linux file is
> "nameofFile.so.0.4.5"  The company that makes these drivers (FTDI) says
> that the API's for both OS's are practically the same (except you
> obviously cannot use WIN32 functions when running on Linux).  I wish I
> knew more about Linux drivers...

on linux, usually *all* library files are stored in dedicated
directories like /lib /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib you can then acces the
lib just by 'nameofFile'. example: if you have
'/usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.3.4' installed, you only need to tell the
compiler to use the library 'qt-mt'. You can create a seperate lib
directory for your project, but you probably need to set some
environment variables for that. I believe pyrex is your friend when
dealing with C libraries in python.