scroll a frame to display several lines of widgets at a time

William Gill noreply at gcgroup.net
Fri Sep 2 11:25:12 EDT 2005

Matt Hammond wrote:
> I don't quite understand (if I'm interpreting you correctly) why you
> want  separate widgets, all displayed at once, for several hundred
> records -  surely better to just reuse the one set of widgets and have
> the scrollbar  or back-forward buttons change which record is being
> displayed in the  widgets.

I need to re-think things a little.  I wanted to be able to quickly
scroll through several hundred entries in the db, and check off (yes/no)
which have been reviewed, updated, or whatever.

I will look at having a fixed number of display widgets and scrolling
through the underlying data to determine which records are currently
displayed/editable.

My first pass was db -> display/edit widgets -> db.  So I jumped
(incorrectly) to wanting to 'hold' all record in widgets for
editing.There's no reason I can't use:

db -> master list -> slice -> display/edit widgets -> master list -> db.

i.e. a list holding all the data, display/edit slices controlled by a
scrollbar, and storing the final list when done.

> If you're after replacing widgets, then you need to destroy them first.
> Use the self.destroy method and unset/change any variables referencing
> the  widget so it get a chance to be garbage collected.
>
> However, if you want a scrollable view onto a larger area, what you
> need  to do is use a Canvas, with a window shape on it. You then put a
> frame  into that window.
>
>    canvas = Tkinter.Canvas( <parent> )
>    canvas.grid( ... )
>    winID = self.canvas.create_window(0,0, anchor=Tkinter.NW)
>
> Then later you can add a frame to that window on the canvas:
>
>    canvas.itemconfigure( winID, window = <my frame> )
>    canvas['scrollregion'] = canvas.bbox('all')
>
> Make sure you've created the frame and perhaps called
> update_idletasks()  to give it a chance to size itself before shoving it
> onto the canvas.
>
> And of course, the scrollbar!
>
>    yscroll = Tkinter.Scrollbar( <parent>, orient=Tkinter.VERTICAL)
>    yscroll.grid( ... )
>    yscroll['command'] = canvas.yview
>    canvas['yscrollcommand'] = yscroll.set

Probably, not needed now that I have re-thought the situation, but I do
have several occasions where i need to view and select/deselect 50 or 60
  options (checkbuttons).  So this will make them much more manageable.

Thanks,

Bill