Finding where to store application data portably

Tony Houghton this.address.is.fake at realh.co.uk
Thu Sep 22 07:41:48 EDT 2005

Ron Adam wrote:
 > Tony Houghton wrote:
 >

 >> I'm using pygame to write a game called Bombz which needs to save some
 >> data in a directory associated with it. In Unix/Linux I'd probably use
 >> "~/.bombz", in Windows something like
 >> "C:\Documents And Settings\<user>\Applicacation Data\Bombz".
 >>
 >> There are plenty of messages in the archives for this group about how to
 >> find the correct location in Windows, but what about Mac OS? There I
 >> don't know the correct location for this sort of thing at all. And there
 >> are other, more obscure systems like RISC OS (it may not have pygame but
 >> it definitely has python). Surely this is something that's crying out
 >> for an official function in os or sys.
 >
 > This works on Win XP.  Not sure if it will work on Linux.
 >
 > import os
 >
 > parent = os.path.split(os.path.abspath(os.sys.argv[0]))[0]
 > file = parent + os.sep + '.bombz'

Ooh, no, I don't want saved data to go in the installation directory. In
general that practice encourages people to run with Admin access, and
it's about time Windows users were discouraged from that.

--
The address in the Reply-To is genuine and should not be edited.
See <http://www.realh.co.uk/contact.html> for more reliable contact