Organising a python project

beza1e1 andreas.zwinkau at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 21 13:29:17 EDT 2005

I don't know about a typical python way, but i'd like to know as well
;)

Personally i have a project for my project foo, which has
foo/__init__.py    # with all the other modules
doc/    # documentation is always a good idea
script/     # everything executable, which later goes into 'bin'
directories by installing
setup.py
README, INSTALL, ... and other standard stuff

Of course often there is other stuff floating around in the base
directory, like some quick test scripts or sketches. And then my
version control system has an additional directory.

My tests are mostly within the modules.

def test():
   return True
if __name__ == "__main__":
   test()

My __init__.py tests every module, if executed directly. So far my
system works. It probably would be good to seperate tests, if they get
bigger.