Python 2.5 alpha

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sat Sep 17 22:25:04 EDT 2005

In article <1126993747.790360.254370 at g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
D.Hering <velocity.travlr at gmail.com> wrote:

>Generally, what sort of compatibility problems should I expect if I
>were to replace 2.4.1 with 2.5 alpha (current cvs dist)? I'm working
>under gentoo linux 2.6.

There is no Python 2.5 alpha.  There is CVS head, which is currently
labeled 2.5a1 (or something like that), but it's nothing like an alpha.
In your shoes, I might consider a parallel installation of Python CVS,
but I certainly would *NOT* consider replacing a stable release with the
development branch.

>Specifically, should I expect any problems with Numarray, Scipy, or
>Pytables or IDE's. My degree of understanding such things is limited,
>and I'm anxious to use the new generator/coroutine functionality.

You'll almost certainly have to recompile them.  Nobody knows about that
kind of compatibility problem, because almost nobody does that kind of
testing until there is an alpha release.  I suggest looking at Misc/NEWS
for info about changes.

The way to build large Python applications is to componentize and
loosely-couple the hell out of everything.