Will python never intend to support private, protected and public?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Sep 30 03:49:41 EDT 2005

en.karpachov at ospaz.ru wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 06:31:44 +0200
> Fredrik Lundh wrote:
>

>>en.karpachov at ospaz.ru wrote:
>>

>>>Looks like you must know every one of the base classes of the NotSoSecret,
>>>whether there is some base class named Secret? And, if so, you must also
>>>know these classes _implementation_
>>
>>that information isn't hidden, so there's nothing "you must know".  finding out
>>is a matter of writing a very small program, or tinkering at the interactive prompt
>>for a couple of seconds.  are you even aware that you're posting to a Python
>>group ?
>

> So you have read every line of the python std library, I guess? (Not to
> mention libc or kernel32.exe or whatever.)

The effbot is actually probably about the worst opponent you could have
taken on with a feeble argument like that being, as he (it) is, the
author of the O'Reilly standard on the Python Standard Library. So
Fredrik is probably *much* more likely than any other regular poster to
be intimately familiar with the standard library.

All of which misses his point, however. Python easily allows you to
access the information you are saying you "must know" - for
non-extension classes it will even decompile the code if you ask it.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119