A quick c.l.p netiquette question

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Sep 30 03:37:08 EDT 2005

Peter Hansen wrote:
> Fredrik Lundh wrote:
>
>>Peter Hansen wrote:
>>
>>>Does it really have to be 158 lines to demonstrate these few issues?  I
>>>for one almost never take the time to dig through 158 lines of someone
>>>else's code, partly on the assumption that almost any interesting issue
>>>can be covered (using Python, specifically) in about a dozen lines of
>>>code.
>

>>did you click on the link he posted a little later?
>

> What link?  I see only two posts from him in this thread, one at 5:09
> and the other at 6:14, and neither contains links.  I suppose I should
> start to distrust my ISP's news feed, because that was how it was this
> morning and how it still is now.  There are a grand total of 10 posts to
> that thread as I'm about to post this reply.
>
> Sorry, but I can't click on links that don't exist.
>

>>>YMMV
>>
>>no, YVFC.
>

> ??  you've lost me there too.  Your Very Fucked Computer?  I'll agree
> that some computer around here is fucked if I can't see a post that
> everyone else can see.
>
> -Peter
>
> (Well now... I just realized that it wasn't in the same thread after
> all, and yes, I did see the post, then noticed a reply from someone
> talking about Greenspun's law, quickly hit "k" to move on to more
> interesting topics, and never gave it a second thought.  Certainly
> didn't notice it was also Peter who had posted that one, nor realized
> the connection (probably because I'd already sent my reply and thus
> flushed the whole affair from my memory).  So, in summary, yes I did
> click on the link he posted, but that was after I'd already replied so I
> don't think it's particularly useful for us to be discussing it.  YMMV
> again. :-)  )
>
> (And I do see the YVFC part now... what was really bizarre was trying to
> do a search on the web for what that acronym means.  Try it... strange
> stuff.  I was thinking there was some weird conspiracy to make people
> think there was this acronym that was well known but had no online
> definition.)

Reminds me of the old one about them missing the world "gullible" from
[name dictionary of your choice]. Always nice to be able to ask someone
to read the definition once you've got them to prove you wrong.

Peter, perhaps you are getting too old to be posting on c.l.py ;-)

that'll-teach-you-to-be-rude-about-*me*-ly y'rs  - steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119