Job Offer in Paris, France : R&D Engineer (Plone)

Adriaan Renting renting at astron.nl
Tue Sep 6 05:51:27 EDT 2005

>>> I'm in the US and have no EU papers.  Still feasible?

Unless you and your employer know the to talk the talk and walk the walk, it's probably going to be hard. I work at a place in the Netherlands where about 50% of the employees are from abroad, with large numbers from places like the USA, Canada, Russia, Australia, India etc. and from what I hear it's a lot of hoops you need tou jump though. Stuff like getting a house, work permit, car, drivers licence will be expensive and very time consuming, more so in Paris. It helps a lot if your employer knows to push the right buttons.

Not to discourage you, working abroad can realy be a nice thing to do, but expect a lot of paperwork, and a lot of contradicting answers. The basic thing is, that most european goventments aren't set up to deal with expats, most immigrants are economic and political refugees from the developing world, and Europe is trying to make it as hard as possible for them to get in.

And about the French language: Try to find some french radio broadcast on the internet or something like that, and see if you can understand it. I find reading/writing/speaking French is o.k., but understanding native speakers can be very hard. I have a lot easier time understanding for example italians speaking French.