Unicode-aware file shortcuts in Windows

John Bauman john at baumanfamily.com
Sat Sep 17 01:39:22 EDT 2005

"Stanislaw Findeisen" <my_initials at nglogic.com> wrote in message
news:dgfjg8$j0n$1 at achot.icm.edu.pl...
> Does anyone know how to create file shortcuts in Windows?
>
> The only way I know is like:

> import win32com.client
>
> wScriptShellObject = win32com.client.Dispatch("WScript.Shell")
> shortcutName = unicode("shortcut.lnk", "utf8")
> shortcut = wScriptShellObject.CreateShortcut(shortcutName)
> shortcut.TargetPath = <FULL PATH TO TARGET FILE>
> shortcut.Save()

I see that another way is available here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/programmersguide/shell_int/shell_int_programming/shortcuts/shortcut.asp
I haven't tried, and I don't have the knowledge to convert the C++ to
Python, but it works at a lower level and may get around the bugs. It does
seem that the name of the file isn't Unicode in their method, either, so I'm
not sure if it'll work.