Sniffing Text Files

David Pratt fairwinds at eastlink.ca
Fri Sep 23 00:20:49 EDT 2005

Hi. I have files that I will be importing in at least four different
plain text formats, one of them being tab delimited format, a couple
being token based uses pipes (but not delimited with pipes), another
being xml. There will likely be others as well but the data needs to be
extracted and rewritten to a single format. The files can be fairly
large (several MB) so I do not want to read the whole file into memory.
What approach would be recommended for sniffing the files for the
different text formats. I realize CSV module has a sniffer but it is
something that is limited more or less to delimited files.  I have a
couple of ideas on what I could do but I am interested in hearing from
others on how they might handle something like this so I can determine
the best approach to take. Many thanks.

Regards,
David