End or Identify (EOI) character ?

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Mon Sep 19 12:33:42 EDT 2005

In article <mailman.552.1127021597.509.python-list at python.org>,
 "Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

> "Madhusudan Singh" <spammers-go-here at spam.invalid> wrote in message
> news:432cb8fd$0$18650$14726298 at news.sunsite.dk...
> > Hi
> >
> > I was wondering how does one detect the above character. It is returned
> > by
> > an instrument I am controlling via GPIB.
>
> EOI = chr(n) # where n is ASCII number of the character.
> # then whenever later
> if gpid_in == EOI: #do whatever

Which begs the question, what is the ASCII number of the
character?  I was curious enough to feed GPIB and EOI into
a search engine, and from what I got back, I believe it is
not a character, but rather a hardware line that may be
asserted or not.  GPIB, whatever that is, may support some
configuration options where EOI causes a character output,
but the actual value depends on configuration.  The documentation
is probably the place to find out more about this stuff.

   Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu