Free seminar on domain-specific modeling

Michael Sparks michaels at rd.bbc.co.uk
Wed Sep 21 08:49:41 EDT 2005

Martijn Iseger wrote:
> I believe the point being made by the organization is that during
> computing history the most successful shifts in productivity were
> achieved by similar shifts in raising the abstraction level on which
> developers specify solutions.

The alternate point is that during computing history, many, many, many
promises were made for many, many, many, technologies based on the
same principle of raising the abstraction level. Many, many, many of
those technologies promised much and failed to deliver on their claims
when used beyond the people inventing/using those technologies.

Furthermore, virtually all of them get marketed as being the next big
thing that Will Change The World. As a result anyone marketing an idea
in this way meets skepticism. From my perspective your site talks a lot
about general ideas but has little on specifics.

One thing is relatively clear - your approach appears to include a
graphical approach to systems building. Personally I suspect that the
fact people are able to engage other parts of their brain when building
these systems beyond linguistic is the real reason you see benefits,
rather than actually the specific thing that led to the visual approach
being possible.

Maybe your approach will change the world. Maybe it won't. If it's
better and it does, good. If it's not better and it does, that's a lot
of effort for no gain. Unfortunately that latter point is a common
result.

(On a sad note it looks like you're reinvented how hardware is designed
and made, but not made the intuitive leap :-/ )

Best Regards,

Michael.
--
This message (and any attachments) contains personal views
which are not the views of the BBC.