File processing

Jeremy Jones zanesdad at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 23 08:38:47 EDT 2005

Gopal wrote:

>Thanks for the reference. However, I'm not understanding how to use it.
>Could you please provide with an example? Like I open the file, read
>line and give it to parser?
>
>Please help me.

I had thought of recommending what Peter Hansen recommended - just
importing the text you have as a Python module.  I don't know why I
recommended ConfigParser over that option.  However, if you don't like
what Peter said and would still like to look at ConfigParser, here is a
very simple example.  Here is the config file I created from your email:

jmjones at qiwi  8:36AM configparser % cat foo.txt
[main]
PROJECT_ID = "E4208506"
SW_VERSION = "18d"
HW_VERSION = "2"

Here is me running ConfigParser from a Python shell:

In [1]:  import ConfigParser

In [2]:  p = ConfigParser.ConfigParser()

In [3]:  p.read("foo.txt")
Out[3]:  ['foo.txt']

In [4]:  p.get("main", "PROJECT_ID")
Out[4]:  '"E4208506"'

Note that the value of ("main", "PROJECT_ID") is a string which contains
double quotes in it.  If you take Peter's advice, you won't have that
problem; the config file will preserve your types for you.

HTH,

- JMJ