assign dict by value to list

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Sep 6 23:40:20 EDT 2005

Phill Atwood wrote:
> Newbie question:
>
> I have a dictionary called "rec".  And a list called "db". db is my
> database. rec are to be records in the database. In a loop I'm trying to
> create a record and add it to my database.  The key stmt is
>
> db.append( rec )
>
> This works initially but it seems that instead of copying the values in
> rec and adding it to db, only a reference of rec is added to db.  Thus
> when I reassign rec with new data and then do another append I end up
> with two records in my database but now the both contain the same data,
> namely the latest version or rec.
>
> So how do I add a dictionary into a list by value rather than by reference?
>
> The complete code is here:

[code snipped]

I see you do a rec.clear() to clear out the contents of one record
before creating a new one. Python only *ever* uses references, so why
not just use

     rec = {}

instead of rec.clear()?

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC             http://www.holdenweb.com/