[Python-Dev] PEP 350: Codetags

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Tue Sep 27 14:45:15 EDT 2005

"Phillip J. Eby" <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 03:35 PM 9/26/2005 -0700, Micah Elliott wrote:
> >Please read/comment/vote.  This circulated as a pre-PEP proposal
> >submitted to c.l.py on August 10, but has changed quite a bit since
> >then.  I'm reposting this since it is now "Open (under consideration)"
> >at <http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0350.html>.
>
> This seems a little weird to me.  On the one hand, seems like a cool idea
> if you aren't using Eclipse or another IDE that tracks this stuff, but
> still need some kind of tracking system.  But, if that is the case, the
> notation seems a little bit overkill, especially with respect to tracking
> who's responsible - i.e., just you.

There are various Python editors which have had support for a similar
style of tags for quite a while.  Some allow #<anything>: <comment>,
others allow # <alphanumeric and spaces> : <comment>, even others allow
more or less.  Some even count exclamation points as an indicator of
severity.

Personally, though I use tags in some of the code I write, and though
the editor I use (and wrote) supports tags, I'm of the opinion that an
unofficial spec is sufficient.  See koders.com and search for 'fixme' to
see some common variants.

 - Josiah