undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS4*

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Sep 20 01:56:20 EDT 2005

Analabha Roy wrote:

> I'm running Fedora Core 3, and recently I've encountered serious problems
> with apps that need python to run.
>
>  running any such app gives errors like:
>
> ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rhpl/iconv.so: undefined
> symbol: PyUnicodeUCS4_AsUTF8String
>
> Well, all apps dont produce same error but similar errors. All undefined
> symbols start with PyUnicodeUCS4.
> What is wrong???

Python can be built with UCS2-based or UCS4-based Unicode support.
It looks like you're trying to use extensions built for a UCS4-based version
with an UCS2 build.

(I think, but I'm not sure, that installing extensions built for certain Red
Hat versions on FC3 may cause this problem)

For instructions on how to build the core interpreter with Unicode
support, run "./configure --help" and look for the "--enable-unicode"
option.

</F>