Problem with Help when using numarray

Colin J. Williams cjw at sympatico.ca
Fri Sep 16 15:36:43 EDT 2005

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Colin J. Williams wrote:
>

>>With numarray, help gives unhelpful responses:
>>
>>import numarray.numarraycore as _n
>>c= _n.array((1, 2))
>>print 'rank Value:', c.rank
>>print 'c.rank Help:', help(c.rank)
>

> c.rank returns a Python integer object.
Fredrik,

Thanks to Robert Kern and yourself.
Yes, you are right.  Most of such cases are treated as properties so
that a doc string is available.

I think that the script below shows that there are cases where a doc
string is available but this information is not retrieved by help()

names= [n * int(not ( '_' in n)) for n in dir(c)]
for n in names:
   if len(n):
     try:
       txt= eval('c.'+n+'.__doc__ ')
       print n, txt
       print 'help:', help('c.'+n)
     except:
       print n, ' fails'

You give an integer example below, which I have marked <<<<<<<

This gives the basics. help(c.rank) below gives much more and a lot of
it is irrelevant.

Colin W.

 >>> help(c.rank)
Help on int object: