PEP 350: Codetags

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Fri Sep 30 18:49:38 EDT 2005

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 13:27:57 -0400, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois?= Pinard <pinard at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>[Tom Anderson]
>
>> ISO 8601 suggests writing date-and-times like 2005-09-26T12:34:56 -
>> using a T as the separator between date and time. I don't really like
>> the look of it, but it is a standard, so i'd suggest using it.
>
>ISO 8601 suggests a few alternate writings, and the ``T`` you mention is
>for only one of them, meant for those cases where embedded spaces are
>not acceptable.  Other ISO 8601 writings accept embedded spaces, and
>this is how ISO 8601 is generally used by people, so far that I can see.

The most detailed discussion I could find was
    http://hydracen.com/dx/iso8601.htm
(BTW, IMO the practice of charging for standards documents (as the ISO
and IEEE etc do) in hard copy form is understandable, but charging for
.pdf versions is perversely contrary to the purpose of wide dissemination
necessary for wide adoption. IOW, IMO they ought to think of another way to
get funded).

Anyway, the 'T' looks to me to be optional by mutual agreement between
particular information exchangers, but otherwise required?

Regards,
Bengt Richter