Telephony project

Mike vimakefile at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 27 11:50:36 EDT 2005

I was able to do something like this in Python a while back. You'll need one
of:
(a) A telephone line dialer/monitor & DTMF I/O board that works through the
serial port, and a phone audio tap that mixes the soundcard I/O to the phone
(b) A TAPI-compliant modem that does everything you need
(c) A digital POTS phone that is controllable through serial, USB or your
LAN, or a TAPI interface.
(d) VOIP software and service than uses SIP, etc. (I found this I found
this:
http://softphones.globaliptel.com/(c50kru45yksjek55xr2b5g45)/_Pages/NoFrames/PageBuilder.aspx?content=4214134c0c4f416982e844bcd86b2955,
but am in no way endorsing it. Also check out http://www.sipfoundry.org/)

I used method (a) -- (b) tends to be a pain (as most OEM TAPI modems have
some fatal flaw or three...) and (c/d) may be more possible now that before.
I used voice reco on the input side rather then DTMF, but I was doing it
from local phone exensions on the same loop, not for outside calls, and not
for the elderly, so DTMF is probably better anyway. (If you need to know the
exact hardware I used, I can find out.)

The other option is to not have your own hardware at all and use a
service -- there are companies provide web services that let you
write/generate markup (VoiceXML or other) to make the calls, wait for DTMF
or voice input, etc. (Though I had trouble Googling one at the moment -
there were more a few years ago...)

news:1127816655.712927.289850 at g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...