RELEASED Python 2.4.2 (final)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Sep 30 07:33:23 EDT 2005

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Trent Mick wrote:
>
>>It is possible that the python.org installer didn't overwrite the
>>"python24.dll" in the system directory (C:\WINDOWS\system32). Try doing
>>this:
>

> Even though this is apparently what happened, I'm puzzled as to why it
> happened: shouldn't the version number of python24.dll in the pydotorg
> installer be higher than the one in the ActivePython installer, and
> shouldn't then Windows Installer overwrite the DLL?

Couldn't it also happen if the first time someone did an "admin" install
which (I believe) puts the DLLs in the system folder, and the next time
did just a non-admin install which doesn't do that?  (Or am I
misunderstanding the conditions under which c:\windows\system32 has
files written to it?)

-Peter