Brute force sudoku cracker

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Mon Sep 19 03:12:54 EDT 2005

Op 2005-09-16, my.correo.basura at gmail.com schreef <my.correo.basura at gmail.com>:

> Bas ha escrito:
>
>> Hi group,
>>
>> I came across some of these online sudoku games and thought after
>> playing a game or two that I'd better waste my time writing a solver
>> than play the game itself any longer. I managed to write a pretty dumb
>> brute force solver that can at least solve the easy cases pretty fast.
>>
>> It basically works by listing all 9 possible numbers for all 81 fields
>> and keeps on striking out possibilities until it is done.
>> [snip]
>
> This problem is desperately begging for backtracking.

I don't think so. I regularly solve one and I never needed
to try something out, to see if it worked or not except
when there were muliple solutions.

I think it is a beautifull problem, to make people think of
how they could code some of their thought processes, which
would be a more fruitfull experience as programming this
with backtracking.

--
Antoon Pardon