Why do Pythoneers reinvent the wheel?

djw donald.welch at hp.com
Fri Sep 9 12:23:22 EDT 2005

Stefano Masini wrote:

> I don't know what's the ultimate problem, but I think there are 3 main reasons:
> 1) poor communication inside the community (mhm... arguable)
> 2) lack of a rich standard library (I heard this more than once)
> 3) python is such an easy language that the "I'll do it myself" evil
> side lying hidden inside each one of us comes up a little too often,
> and prevents from spending more time on research of what's available.

I think, for me, this most important reason is that the stdlib version
of a module doesn't always completely fill the requirements of the
project being worked on. That's certainly why I wrote my own, much
simpler, logging module. In this case, its obvious that the original
author of the stdlib logging module had different ideas about how
straightforward and simple a logging module should be. To me, this just
demonstrates how difficult it is to write good library code - it has to
try and be everything to everybody without becoming overly general,
abstract, or bloated.

-Don