Zope3 Examples?

Markus Wankus markus_REMOVEwankusALL_CAPS at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 30 08:53:00 EDT 2005

Jean-François Doyon wrote:
> Markus,
>
> Zope 3 is mature as a framework, but does not provide much "out of the
> box".  It's a basis upon which to build applications like Plone ... If
> you are looking for something that provides Plone-like features on top
> of Zope 3, it doesn't exist (yet).
>
> Personally, I'm waiting for this: http://www.z3lab.org/
> But it'll be a while yet!

Yes - I was watching the screencasts (well, animations) on this and it
looks incredible!  I can't wait to play with something like this.

> Zope 3 is brilliant, but complex, and quite the departure from Zope 2,
> so it'll take a while for the take up to occur.
>
> What might work better for you is to use Zope 2 + the CMF, without
> Plone.  Plone can be fairly heavy and rigid, the CMF alone might give
> you the tools you need.  I use Zope 2 with success and good performance
> on a hig traffic website, I wouldn't discount it just because of your
> first impression ... There are many tweaks available that will
> considerably improve performance for production systems.
>
> Cheers,
> J.F.

Thanks for the reply - maybe I'll give it another shot.  I'm currently
demoing Snakelets.  Quite a turn in the opposite direction, but small
and super-easy to get going with.  I think once this project gets a few
good webapps under its belt (and maybe I can contribute there!) this
could be a nice solution for many people.  At least a good starting
point for someone like me who knows a good deal about Python and nothing
about web frameworks.

Markus.