Microsoft Hatred FAQ

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Sun Oct 16 01:25:48 EDT 2005

"John Bokma" <john at castleamber.com> wrote in message
news:Xns96F0C9445F383castleamber at 130.133.1.4...

> Ok, let me spell it out for you: If all your applications are web based,
> and the OS shouldn't matter, why do Linux distributions matter? It
> doesn't matter which one you use to run, for example, OpenOffice. Yet
> people pick a certain distribution. Why? Well, one reason is that people
> like to belong to a group. So even if it really doesn't matter which OS
> you are going to use to access a web application, or even which browser,
> people will pick a certain browser, and a certain OS, just because.

    You don't get it. The point is, you can pick any Linux distribution and
still use the same applications. This is exactly what Microsoft *doesn't*
want. They want applications to be locked to Microsoft OSes. For then to do
this, applications have to be as tied to the OS as possible. The browser as
a target platform threatened this Microsoft vision, so Microsoft reacted by
trying to corner the browser market and balkanize Java.

    You can agree or disagree with the rationale and by sympathetic with or
antagonistic to Microsoft's motive. But these are historical facts.

    DS