What documentation "standard" to use

Kenneth McDonald kenneth.m.mcdonald at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 5 21:18:31 EDT 2005

This is, as far as I'm concerned, one of the great weaknesses of
Python. (One of a
relatively few, to be honest--I'm still an enthusiast after all!)

There are numerous docstring-oriented tools; in my opinion, none of
them are satisfactory,
because docstrings only apply to certain entities, and there are many
other entities one
might wish to document.

Fred Lundh pointed out just a day or two ago a program of his called
PythonDoc where
documentation is put into comments, and from the brief look I had at
it, I may start
using it, it looks pretty nice.

ReStructuredText (now called ReST, I believe) looks like it's finally
become a quite
good text markup language, and if there were a non-docstring system
that used it, I
think that also would be good.

But what I'd really like is for Guido et al to declare a standard
documentation system and
include in the standard Python distro. That way we would have _some_
standard, and
people could concentrate their energy on improving it, rather than on
continually
coming up with their own, non-interoperable, solutions.

Cheers,
Ken