make: circular dependency for Modules/signalmodule.o

James Buchanan reply-and-ask at nospam.thanks
Thu Oct 20 07:16:49 EDT 2005

Neal  Norwitz wrote:
> I've never heard of this problem.  The Makefile is generated by
> configure so this is possibly a configure issue.  In my (generated)
> Makefile, signalmodule.o is listed in MODOBJS, but not in SIGNAL_OBJS.
> Maybe your signalmodule.o is listed in both?
>
> Search through the Makefile for signalmodule and see what you can
> find.
>
> Mine has two long lines for the rules which cause signalmodule.c to be
> compiled.
>
> Modules/signalmodule.o: $(srcdir)/Modules/signalmodule.c; $(CC)
> $(PY_CFLAGS) -c $(srcdir)/Modules/signalmodule.c -o
> Modules/signalmodule.o
>
> Modules/signalmodule$(SO):  Modules/signalmodule.o; $(LDSHARED)
> Modules/signalmodule.o -o Modules/signalmodule$(SO)

Hi Neal,

Thanks very much for your tip.  I've been studying makefiles to find out
exactly what all this means.  It may be because the Minix make program
is less capable than gmake.  gmake and other make programs can
obviously handle this.  Configure might have run incorrectly or both
rules are one and the same on Minix, because there is no LDSHARED or
signalmodule$(SO).  Maybe...

Still working on it, but this has narrowed it down for me, so thanks
heaps. :)

James