Microsoft Hatred FAQ

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Thu Oct 27 08:50:12 EDT 2005

Peter T. Breuer wrote:

> That's UP TO THE FRIGGING STORE (in contrast to the MS situation).

    No, it's not up to the store. In all the cases I mentioned, it's the
manufacturer of the product that imposes the restrictions and the
manufacturer of the product is not the store owner.

>> I don't know why you think
>> that's an attempt to subvert market economics,

> Because "it is".

    Then every franchise on the planet and every company that sells
wholesale only to "authorized resellers" and has non-compete in their
authorization terms, is subverting the market.

>> it's actually just a normal
>> part of the way the market works.
>
> No it isn't.

    Yes, it is.

> I think I'll just plonk you. Absurd and outlandish statements like
> that put you beyond the pale. The law has spoken on the matter - the
> courts have judged, and "that is illegal" and "that is a monopoly"
> and "that is an illegal  trade practice" are its judgments.

    I defy you to find any court that has ruled this practice illegal for a
company that does not have a monopoly. Because if they did, I'm going after
Doctor's Associates and Kenmore.

    What do you have to agree to in order to get OSX wholesale for resale?
What about Solaris?

    DS