Jargons of Info Tech industry

Sun Oct 9 19:20:30 EDT 2005

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 20:01:28 +0000, Roedy Green wrote:

> You might say what about those free 10 mb websites?  That's not very
> many images with today's megapixel digital cameras.

My system admins have a number of names for people who try to send
multi-megabyte files by email. The names start with "accursed of God"
and rapidly get worse. Email is not designed to cope with such large file
sizes, and if you are running virus scanners and spam filters -- and you
should be -- performance rapidly goes downhill from there.

> I think we computer folk owe the public

We don't owe the public *anything* if they don't pay for it. We might
*choose* to build it for free, but that's our choice, not a duty.

[snip]
> I wrote an essay years ago on how such an email system might work.

Ah, I see. Another pie-in-the-sky replacement for email. Well, good luck
with it. I wish you every success, but don't ask me to buy shares in your
startup.

--
Steven.