Expanding Python as a macro language

qwweeeit at yahoo.it qwweeeit at yahoo.it
Fri Oct 28 20:26:40 EDT 2005

 Hi all,
 when I moved from Windows to Linux I choosed Python as my language of
 reference and as GUI, Qt (not much investigated up to now).
 Till now I didn't regret but one thing:
 Python can't act as a macro language and so you are obliged to revert
 to Windows to use programs like AutoIt, Macro Express or Macro
 Scheduler or even the macro features of Office with VBA.

 Claudio Grondi expressed almost the same ideas in answering to a post:
 > What I can point you to is not Python, but embedding it in Python
 > is a question of executing one line of Python code triggering its
 > execution.
 > I think you will be fascinated by its features and ease of use
 > and how well it is suited to fit into your needs:
 >    http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/index.php
 > With it you will start to see, that forcing to obey to Windows way
 > of doing things has not only bad sides.

 In answering to him I expressed the idea to use Windows and AutoIt 3
 for automation purposes.
 But then I changed idea... Also if it is already one year that I try
 to find a solution in Linux (mainly with Python or DCOP and KDE),
 I am still confident that there is a solution (in Python we have big
 experts...).
 Instead of merely "batteries included" we have plenty of already made
 applications (from graphics to browsing or editing etc.) that can be
 easily accessed emulating users operations (mainly keystrokes or mouse
 operations)...
 Bye.