Expanding Python as a macro language

SPE - Stani's Python Editor spe.stani.be at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 23:04:47 EDT 2005

> some future Firefox version might perhaps integrate a Python engine

For those who never heard about Firefox 1.9, check the following urls.
It looks very promising:

1) http://wiki.mozilla.org/Roadmap_Scratchpad#Python_for_XUL

Python for XUL

Significant potential contributors in both the Python and XUL
application development communities have long wanted access to Python's
set of libraries and its capabilities as an application development
language. So in addition to JavaScript, which is the default web and
XUL scripting language, we plan to extend the reach of Gecko and XUL to
the Python world.

Mark Hammond's work on PyXPCOM and a language-neutral DOM is well under
way as of October 2005, and we believe that the glue code and bindings
will be slim enough to be part of a default XULRunner or Firefox
distribution when the 1.9 cycle is complete.

(N.B.: Mozilla does not intend to distribute the C-Python runtime with
its applications or frameworks, and application developers who wish to
take advantage of these capabilities will need to provide for this
dependency in their installers or packaging. Stub or streaming
installer capabilities in the Firefox/XULRunner based on Gecko 1.9 will
probably help a great deal to ease the extra download for Python-less
users.)

2) http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/roadmap/archives/008865.html

Given evolving JS, why Python? Simple: different programming languages,
of different ages, have their strengths, and one of the greatest
strength of any solid language is its community. We want to support
Python as well as JS for XUL scripting in order to engage a large,
creative community of hackers that is mostly disjoint from the
web-standards-savvy XUL hackers who are already engaged with Mozilla
and Firefox.

*
Stani
--