Python's Performance

Ognen Duzlevski maketo at norge.freeshell.org
Tue Oct 11 12:17:36 EDT 2005

Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:
> Alex Stapleton wrote

> > Except it is interpreted.

> except that it isn't.  Python source code is compiled to byte code, which
> is then executed by a virtual machine.  if the byte code for a module is up
> to date, the Python runtime doesn't even look at the source code.

I am curious, does this make a difference speed wise (aside from loading time)? The python tutorial would seem to imply
that it does not:

>From Python-Docs-2.4.2/tut/node8.html#SECTION008120000000000000000

"A program doesn't run any faster when it is read from a .pyc or .pyo file than when it is read from a .py file; the
only thing that's faster about .pyc or .pyo files is the speed with which they are loaded."

Thanks,
Ognen