setuptools, ez_setup over http proxy

Jay Parlar jparlar at cogeco.ca
Fri Oct 14 02:02:23 EDT 2005

> I've recently configured my network such that I use squid as a http
> proxy.  I'd now like to be able to use setuptools and ez_setup via this
> proxy.  Is this possible? If so, how do I do it?

It should work if you sent the environment variable (in your shell)
'http_proxy' to the address of your proxy. Python's urllib will then be
able to pull it, and everything should magically work.

Something like:

export http_proxy='http://some_squid_server'

> "....If you are behind an NTLM-based firewall that prevents Python
> programs from accessing the net directly, you may wish to first install
> and use the APS proxy server, which lets you get past such firewalls in
> the same way that your web browser(s) do.....

As far as I know, this is only a problem if you're using a particular
proxy server from Microsoft.

> ps. I'm not sure that this is the right forum for this question.  If it
> isn't feel free to point me to the right place.

The distutils list would be the more appropriate place for setuptools
questions in general.

Jay P.