write a loopin one line; process file paths

Xah Lee xah at xahlee.org
Wed Oct 19 05:48:01 EDT 2005

Thanks a lot for various notes. Bonono?

I will have to look at the itertools module. Just went to the doc
http://www.python.org/doc/2.4.1/lib/module-itertools.html
looks interesting.

> But I believe Python is designed for easy to code and read and maintain
> in mind.

> One has to admit that without some training, FP is not very
> intuitive, my head spin when I see haskell code. A for loop is easier
> to understand.

This i'm not sure. Of the past couple of years i increasingly developed
a theory (probably well-known among proper experts), that the
difficulty of human feats of various forms, are primarily a perception
and familiarity thing. This may be getting off topic, but i wrote an
essay expresising much of the idea using Juggling as a example:
Difficulty Perceptions in Human Feats
 http://xahlee.org/Periodic_dosage_dir/t2/juggling.html

likewise, i think this applies to mental feats as well. In particular,
i think that whether imperative code or functional code is easier for
the mind is almost ENTIRELY dependent on which one the person is more
familiar with, coulped with a innate attitude one may have picked up.

> Well, if you want clean FP, you can always try haskell which is getting
> better and better in terms of real world module support(file system,
> network etc).

oh Haskell, my love! I am really going to learn it now. (maybe i'll
start A-Java-Haskell-A-Day) This month i just learned and read about
how Perl 6 is implemented in Haskell! (because one Taiwaness hacker
single-handedly by happenstance tried to do it, as a by-product of
learning Haskell) This Pugs (Perl6 in Haskell) really brought two
rather incompatible communities together somewhat for mutual exchange.
(the learning, on the surface, is politely said to be mutual, but i'm
pretty sure it's mostly Perlers learning from the Haskell folks)

... there is a sentiment among the elite tech-geeking morons, early on
imbued by the concept of troll, so that they in general don't
communicate and learn from any other language except their own.
Anything cross-posted is considered as troll, and the inter-language
communication has been essentially completely cut off. Basically, the
only ones generating all the garbage posts are these troll-criers
themselves. (will have to flesh out on this particular point of
net-sociology in a essay some other day.)

 Xah
 xah at xahlee.orghttp://xahlee.org/