Comparing lists

Ron Adam rrr at ronadam.com
Sun Oct 16 06:24:08 EDT 2005

Christian Stapfer wrote:

> This discussion begins to sound like the recurring
> arguments one hears between theoretical and
> experimental physicists. Experimentalists tend
> to overrate the importance of experimental data
> (setting up a useful experiment, how to interpret
> the experimental data one then gathers, and whether
> one stands any chance of detecting systematic errors
> of measurement, all depend on having a good *theory*
> in the first place). Theoreticians, on the other hand,
> tend to overrate the importance of the coherence of
> theories. In truth, *both* are needed: good theories
> *and* carefully collected experimental data.
>
> Regards,
> Christian

An interesting parallel can be made concerning management of production
vs management of creativity.

In general, production needs checks and feedback to insure quality, but
will often come to a stand still if incomplete resources are available.

Where as creativity needs checks to insure production, but in many cases
can still be productive even with incomplete or questionable resources.
  The quality may very quite a bit in both directions, but in creative
tasks, that is to be expected.

In many ways programmers are a mixture of these two.  I think I and
Steven use a style that is closer to the creative approach. I get the
feeling your background may be closer to the production style.

Both are good and needed for different types of tasks. And I think most
programmers can switch styles to some degree if they need to.

Cheers,
    Ron