Jargons of Info Tech industry

Tim Tyler tim at tt1lock.org
Sun Oct 9 09:58:41 EDT 2005

In comp.lang.java.programmer Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> wrote or quoted:
> Roedy Green <my_email_is_posted_on_my_website at munged.invalid> writes:
> > On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 19:56:50 -0400, Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> wrote

> >>Show us *examples*! Do you create a style sheet for every site you
> >>visit that overrides there classes? What?
> >
> > Why don't you download a copy of Opera, see
> > http://mindprod.com/jgloss/opera.html
>
> What makes you think I don't have a copy of Opera? Just so happens
> I've got a registred copy on my newest computer.
>
> > Then try out the feature.  Click View | style | user
>
> My copy of Opera doesn't have that menu entry. I suspect you're making
> platform-specific suggestions.
>
> Trying it on a different platform, it looks like it does what I said
> earlier: user mode simply disables the authors style sheets. None of
> the "merging" you suggested was going on is actually happening.

The "user mode" uses style sheets you specify.

There's a whole bunch of built-in ones - and you can cascade them:

``User style sheets

``There is also the inclusion of 12 packaged user style sheets and an easy
  menu application interface (View > Style). These sheets can be cascaded
  together, with or without the page's styles. They are mostly for
  accessibility, accessible web design and plain coolness: Emulate text
  browser, Nostalgia, Accessibility Layout, Show images and links only,
  High contrast, Hide non-linking images, Disable tables and Use default
  forms design.

  There are also three style sheets that are worth mentioning specially:
  Hide certain-sized elements, Debug with outline, and Show structural
  elements. Hide certain-sized elements is basically that CSS-powered
  inline ad-killer that Eric A. Meyer came up with a few years ago. Debug
  with outline uses the newly added support for the "outline" property to
  display key elements. Finally, Show structural elements, which with the
  acrobatic use of generated content, attribute selectors and counters,
  shows the HTML tags inline, as well as the meta and link data, and a
  report on the number of font tags and nested tables. Now this is cool!''

 - http://www.evolt.org/article/Opera_7_Released/1/54851/