Jargons of Info Tech industry

Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen lasse at vkarlsen.no
Sat Oct 8 18:03:05 EDT 2005

Mike Meyer wrote:
> If you've got a browser with a better solution, what's the browser,
> and what's the solution?

There is no single solution.

On one side you got control freaks who condemn everyone who dares send
an email with something other than what you've got your own email set up
to use. "You dare specify the font sized when I finally figured out that
10 is just right? Infidel!"

On the other side you got people who would like to have slightly more
control over their email formatting than the ability to hit enter to
denote a line break. "Whaddya mean I can't specify bold text to
emphasize a point?"

As long as you got something called a feature, there will always be
people who will be able to abuse it.

Now, if you want to get into a big huff because someone you knows use a
font that is "slightly oversized" because of Windows, then I think you
missed the point of the email altogether, which was probably to convey a
message.

Just the same as people that sends bright red text on green background
seems to miss the whole issue of "appropriate".

It doesn't matter what is used, decided, controlled, allowed, removed,
whatever. Some people will always like it, some will hate it, some will
abuse it, but most of all there will always be people that will discuss it.

Hopefully most people will use it for what it is.

In any case, html email is here to stay. Or perhaps I should remove html
and say "richly formatted", whatever that might mean in the future.

But trying to keep your email world into a pure text-based
no-formatting-whatsoever world, that's a fantasy bubble that is bound to
burst, sooner rather than later.

Deal with it.

--
Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen