Microsoft Hatred FAQ

Roel Schroeven rschroev_nospam_ml at fastmail.fm
Sun Oct 16 17:06:24 EDT 2005

John Bokma wrote:
> Roel Schroeven <rschroev_nospam_ml at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>

>>John Bokma wrote:
>

>>>web based applications that work with any browser make OS irrelevant
>>>-> not true, since for OpenOffice it doesn't matter which Linux
>>>distribution one runs (or even if it's Linux), yet people seem to
>>>make a point of which distribution they use.
>>
>>You make the point yourself now: if web based applications work with
>>any browser, people can freely choose their distribution based on
>>their own preferences.
>

> Yup, and what will they pick?

The one of their choice. Nobody knows which one that will be. Maybe MS.
But that's not the point; the point is that they have the choice.  If MS
had it its way, they wouldn't have that choice.

>>- An application works in IE, Firefox, Konqueror, Safari, Lynx, Links,
>>Opera, ... -> users can use it with any browser on any OS
>

> I think that we both understand that one browser will be more compatible
> then an other. It will only happen if all use exactly the same render
> engine, or all web recommendations are frozen.

Thousands and thousands of website work perfectly in all of the
aforementioned websites right now.

> And if that happens, people selling stuff will find ways to make
> their version just a little better.

It's very well possible to compete without breaking compatibility.
That's what Firefox, Opera, Konqueror etc. are already doing.

> Look at processors: which one would you buy at the moment? AMD? Intel?
> and if you pick a brand, which type?

Depends on my needs, budget and the specs and price of the available
offers. Plus I always have a small, admittedly perhaps unjustified,
preference for the underdog; in the past that was AMD, in the future
that may very well be Intel. But I don't see the point of that question.

> As soon as products can't evolve much more, the producers will find
> ways to make them even better compared to last week.

As products can't evolve much more, the producers will find ways to make
them evolve?? Sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

>>- An application only works in IE -> users are forced to use Windows
>>(or one of the other few OS's that IE exists on)
>

> Or wait until there comes a solution from a 3rd party. Force doesn't
> exists with software unless you can manipulate the law to enforce it.
> And I don't believe that everybody at Microsoft was/is that stupid to
> think they can make that something they don't controll only works with
> their software. Sure they can make it harder, like I said, you can
> always add things, especially if you are the major player, but Firefox
> is a nice proof that there is no such force, and I doubt that there are
> people working at Microsoft in major positions who didn't see this
> coming.

Maybe they can force it, maybe not, but that's not the point (again).
The point is what their intentions are, and that is trying to lock
people into using their software.

Roel Schroeven