Jargons of Info Tech industry

paul at boddie.org.uk paul at boddie.org.uk
Sun Oct 9 12:26:55 EDT 2005

Tim Tyler wrote:
> Javascript can be turned off in *mail readers* - by their manufacturers.

Yes, mail readers, browsers, combined mail reading and Web browsing
"suites", or whatever combination of functions you care to consider. In
any case, in the not-exactly-unknown mail reader I use, I can't seem to
find a setting that will turn JavaScript on. Meanwhile, HTML mail is
flagged and presented as plain text with a prominent warning about
viewing the message as HTML - an acceptable tradeoff which only
slightly delays the viewing of the very few legitimate messages I get
sent in that format.

Of course, the most excitable manufacturers of mail readers with
respect to enabling a "rich experience" are those pitching "enterprise
functionality", although a full treatment of their mistakes (amplifying
my previous rant) would take this discussion even further away from the
tenuous connection it has with Python, related discussions on type
safety, private/protected/public, using Python in Mozilla, and the
disappearance of the Bastion module notwithstanding.

Paul