Microsoft Hatred FAQ

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Tue Oct 25 07:21:45 EDT 2005

"Roedy Green" <my_email_is_posted_on_my_website at munged.invalid> wrote in
message news:g6srl15c24s1b7ed22rc1hqqt0d2dh8ktp at 4ax.com...

> On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 21:06:36 -0700, "David Schwartz"
> <davids at webmaster.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who
> said :

>>    Do you think it would be immoral if Microsoft said, "we will only sell
>>Windows wholesale to dealers who don't sell other operating systems?"

> I had an existing independent business. I was not as though I were an
> MS franchise. They imposed this extortion well into my business's
> life.  My choice was comply or go out of business.

> It was not as if I had a choice of sell Hondas or sell Kias if I did
> like the franchise deal.

    Okay, I give up. As far as I can see it, there are only two realistic
possibilties:

    1) There is no other operating system worth selling. In this case, you
are right, you have no choice but to sell the Microsoft OS, but the deal
they're offering you harms you in no way. (Unless you intended to sell PCs
with no OS at all.)

    2) There are other realistic competing operating systems. In this case,
you were foolish to agree to Microsoft's deal. You lost out on the realistic
competing markets. That is, unless Windows only really was a better deal, in
which case you were wise to take the deal and have no reason to be upset.

> To my way of thinking what MS did was similar to a the only magasine
> wholesaler in town telling retailers it had to sell kiddie porn under
> the table or pay full retail for all magazines.

    Of course you pick an analogy where MS analogically peddles kiddie porn.
I can play the same game, watch this: What MS did was similar to the major
magazine wholesaler in a town telling retailers they must carry gay and
lesbian publications if they want to carry its mainstream magazines.

> I broke my own ethical code rather than go out of business. I will
> never forgive MS for putting me in that position.

    You certainly have a legitimate personal grudge against MS.

    DS