"no variable or argument declarations are necessary."

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Wed Oct 5 03:55:10 EDT 2005

Op 2005-10-04, Ron Adam schreef <rrr at ronadam.com>:
> Antoon Pardon wrote:
>> Op 2005-10-03, Steven D'Aprano schreef <steve at REMOVETHIScyber.com.au>:
>>>
>>>And lo, one multi-billion dollar Mars lander starts braking either too
>>>early or too late. Result: a new crater on Mars, named after the NASA
>>>employee who thought the compiler would catch errors.
>>

>> Using (unit)tests will not guarantee that your programs is error free.
>>
>> So if sooner or later a (unit)tested program causes a problem, will you
>> then argue that we should abondon tests, because tests won't catch
>> all errors.
>
> Maybe you need to specify what kind of errors you want to catch.
> Different types of errors require different approaches.

I want to catch all errors of course.

I know that nothing will ever guarantee me this result, but some things
may help in getting close. So if a language provides a feature that can
help, I generally think that is positive. That such a feature won't
solve all problems shouldn't be considered fatal as some counter arguments
seem to suggest.

--
Antoon Pardon