help with sending data out the parallel port

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Oct 27 15:05:28 EDT 2005

David wrote:
> I'm wondering if python is capable of fairly precise timing and also sending
> data out the parallel port.
>
> For example ; making a 7.5 KHz square wave come out of one of the data pins
> on the printer port.
>
> I've tried to help myself with this one but searching in the "Python Library
> Reference" that installed with my version, [ Python 2.4.1. ]  yielded
> nothing on the subject of either timing or parallel port.

What are you trying to use this for?  What kind of jitter does your
specification allow?  (That is, since you can't get the edge transitions
exactly 66.6 microseconds apart all the time, how much variation are you
able to handle?)  What will happen if, say, once every five or ten
seconds the OS hiccups and prevents your task from running for a full
second?

Doing this kind of high-speed realtime control on a non-realtime
operating system is generally difficult or impossible, but it does
depend on how precise you need to be, and how "soft" your realtime
requirements are.  My gut feeling is that you cannot achieve what you
want using Python on Windows (or Linux!), but it depends on your needs,
not my gut. :-)

-Peter