Jargons of Info Tech industry

Roedy Green my_email_is_posted_on_my_website at munged.invalid
Wed Oct 12 20:34:06 EDT 2005

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:12:46 +1000, Steven D'Aprano
<steve at REMOVETHIScyber.com.au> wrote or quoted :

>Suppose I wanted to gather industrial espionage about, oh, say Roedy
>Green. If my virus could impersonate him, I could tell everyone in sight
>that his email has changed to rgreen at mydomain.ru (or wherever). I would
>harvest his email

I would say by extrapolating the problem of spam and snooping that the
next level of email software needs to concentrate on the following:

1. routine and transparent encryption.

2. making spam no longer economic.  Blocking all spam is, even in
theory, impossible.  I sometimes read a message and am ambivalent
myself about whether I wanted to read or receive it.  The key is to
provide efficient, transparent spam solutions.  They can be layered to
filter higher and higher percentages of mail depending on how big your
spam problem is.

3. prevent phishing.  When PayPal sends you an email, you want to know
for sure it really is from PayPal.  This means corporate users at
least will all have digital ids, and all emails will be digitally
signed.

4. status tracking. Unless blocked by the receiver, the sender knows
if his message has been receiveived/read.

5. making it impossible for any incoming email to mount any sort of
attack. the only parts the email software processes are the data
parts. Any enclosed programs must be explicitly installed. The email
software would warn if any code were not digitally signed with proper
certificate to identify the author.

Especially with spam, there are no perfect solutions, but at least we
could do many times better than what we are living with and put the
spammers out of business.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.