Jargons of Info Tech industry

Roedy Green my_email_is_posted_on_my_website at munged.invalid
Wed Oct 12 18:27:26 EDT 2005

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 23:04:49 -0000, gordonb.pru8x at burditt.org (Gordon
Burditt) wrote or quoted :

>I think one necessary function of email and USENET is that it should
>allow you to SAFELY communicate with strangers or, worse, people
>you know but do not trust at all,

Yes, but with spam ANY communication with an unwanted stranger is a
nuisance.

There are two kinds of stranger:

1. ones you want to talk to
2. ones you don't.

How can you sort people?

1. ones that appear to be trying to sell something

2. ones that others have said were pests.

3. ones you have given temporary/special permission to contact you ---
a code word in a personal ad or newsgroup post.

4. Ones who can convince you of their case in a single sentence.

5. Ones who have a reputation as non-spammers (by some sort of
consumer reports bureau that issues digital ids.)

6. Ones you have rejected in past (aided by digital ids expensive
enough people won't change them like underwear).
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.