piping out binaries properly

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Wed Oct 12 01:41:51 EDT 2005

Andy Leszczynski <leszczynscyATnospam.yahoo.com.nospam> writes:

> Mike Meyer wrote:
>> It's not normal to write binary content to stdout - you normally write
>
> Well, I grew up in the Unix world and it is normal over there.

I watched the Unix world grow up, and it ain't normal to me. I don't
think I've ever written a program that wrote binary data to standard
out, not in nearly 30 years of unix programming. I've written lots of
things whose standard out was designed specifically to be read by
another program, but never as binary data.

> I am still curious which layer adds that 0xd. Is it python, cygwin,
> windows ...

It's Python. You tell Python whether or not it needs to do
platform-dependent newline mangling when you open the file.

         <mike