New project coming up...stay with Python, or go with a dot net language??? Your thoughts please!

D H no at spam
Mon Oct 3 12:01:57 EDT 2005

spiffo wrote:
> Ok, I LOVE python, so that is not the issue, but, I am getting very worried
> about it's growth. I recently re-visted the web looking at alot of projects
> I assumed would be up and running by now from over a year ago, such as Boa
> Constructor, Iron Python etc... it seems all these projects get started, but
> never finished.
>
> Also, more and more I need *complete* control of ms sql from my apps, which
> is simply not available from the adodbapi module I got off the internet...
> also, ms sql 2005 is getting ready to come out... what if the guy that wrote
> adodbapi.py does not feel like upgrading it so it even works with MS SQL
> SERVER 2005? Yeesh... you get the picture...

If everything revolves tightly around a microsoft product (ms sql 2005,
which isn't even released yet), you probably are boxed in more towards
other microsoft products.  That's vendor lock-in for you.  You might try
VS.NET 2005 and see if C# or VB.NET and the ADO.NET api work well for
you:  http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2005/
Of course that plus ms sql 2005 will end up costing a great deal of
money.  Plus none of it is cross-platform, but you already said you do
not need that.

There are free .NET alternatives like Mono, Sharpdevelop, boo (
http://boo.codehaus.org/ ) and nemerle, but they are not caught up with
.NET 2 stuff yet.  Again, it hasn't even been released yet, and there
are still bugs in their beta versions.
So it wouldn't surprise me if the python libraries can't handle ms sql
2005-specific stuff yet either.

So, if you need a short answer now, I'd say go with vs.net 2005, but if
you can afford to wait a while, free python and .net alternatives will
catch up.