An interesting question about "print '\a'"

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Mon Oct 24 00:44:48 EDT 2005

Anthony Liu wrote:

> We know that if we do
>
> print '\a'
>
> the bell will sound.
>
> Now, why do I hear the sound on my local machine when
> I run a python script on a remote host?

Because print '\a' just prints the BEL ASCII character, which most
terminals respond by beeping.  Since, when you're logged into a remote
machine, it's your terminal that's displaying the output of your remote
session, that's why you hear the beep on your local machine.

   Maybe soul mates exist / After all
   -- Des'ree