How is wxWindows related to Python?

Brett Hoerner bretthoerner at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 21:53:41 EDT 2005

I guess it is referring to the closely related (maybe even same dev
group? I don't know why the wxWindows docs would mention Python unless
they specifically support the wxPython project, too.)

"wxWindows + Python = wxPython

wxPython is a Python extension module that provides a set of bindings
from the wxWindows library to the Python language. In other words, the
extension module allows Python programers to create instances of
wxWindows classes and to invoke methods of those classes.

More from this Chapter:

· Using Tkinter

· Using PythonWin

The wxPython extension module attempts to mirror the class hierarchy of
wxWindows as closely as possible. This means that there is a wxFrame
class in wxPython that looks, smells, tastes, and acts almost the same
as the wxFrame class in the C++ version.

wxPython is close enough to the C++ version that the majority of the
wxPython documentation is actually annotations to the C++ documentation
that describe the places where wxPython is different. There is also a
series of sample programs included, and a series of documentation pages
that assist the programmer in getting started with wxPython. "
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/python/excerpts/chpt20/wxpython.html

http://www.wxpython.org/